An interesting and easy Recipe for the slow Cooker.
I tried something new and different for dinner last night. We have made sauerkraut before but this was a different taste for me. I made this all in a pan and didn’t use the slow cooker. I will post as the original recipe is in the magazine. I also added a link but to view it online (at Family Circle) you have to sign up for the web site.
The Recipe as is:
Makes : 6 Servings
Prep: 10 Minutes
Slow Cook : High- 4 hours Low- 8 hours with 40 minutes on high
- 2 tbsp country Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp packed brown sugar
- 1tbsp apple cider vinager
- 4 cooked chicken apple sausage links (cut up)
- 1/2 yellow onion thinly sliced (1/2 cup)
- 2 cups sauerkraut (16 oz), undrained
- 7 frozen mini potato and cheese pierogies
- In a large bowl, combine mustard, brown sugar and vinegar. add sausage and onion and toss to coat.
- Place sauerkraut in a 4-quart slow cooker. Spoon sausage and onion mixture on top of the Saurkraut.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours or HIGH for 3 to 4 hours.
- When ready to serve, add frozen pierogies on top. Cover and cook on High about 40 minutes more, until pierogies are heated through.
- stir gently to combine and serve.
This is the original recipe below are some of the things that I did differently.
My Additions and Changes
- I added two Brats
- and Regular Kielbasa sausage
- I cooked the sausage in the pan on the stove top.
- once they were done I added the mixture to the sausage
- then I added the Sauerkraut to the pan and let it cook on Med
- I cooked the Pierogies according to the package.
- And added them to the pan.
I liked it however next time I might nix the Apple Cider Vineger unless I make it in the Slow cooker. The Apple cider vinegar was an intense smell and the kids were not excited about it. I also would have to find something to cook in addition to it. I did like it though.